Monday, January 14, 2008

doppelgangers of the world, compete

In what can only be described as a funny coincidence (okay, I was googling myself to avoid work), recently I came upon my (or one of my) doppelganger in The Tuscon Citizen. I don't know about you, but I rarely think about the fact that there are probably many people out there with my name. But when I do (don't try to pretend you haven't googled yourself), I wonder what kinds of lives those other "Shelly Sanders" are living, what they are doing, and what types of things they say. (I try to go with the most current version of my name, but I guess the possibilities are endless if I look for Michelle Weed, or Shelly Weed or Michelle Sanders or whatever). Anyway, it kind of cracks me up when I read quotes from these ghosts of myself. So, in case you were wondering, there is another Shelly Sanders out there who apparently loves her dog WAY more than me, is definitely more flexible and makes a lot more money. Sigh.

From "They're Dogged in Hunt For Perfect Gifts" by Ryn Gargulinski in The Tuscon Citizen, 12.22.07

"They have a whole wardrobe with all kinds of festive things," said owner Shelly Sanders. "Easter dresses, Halloween costumes, Christmas sweaters, biker wear. They have University of Arizona cheerleading outfits they wear to tailgating parties."
She said all the pampering is worth it to see the smiles in every eye that spies the doggie duo.
One of the most extravagant items Sanders bought was a $150 hand-knit sweater embroidered with Stella's name. That - and first class airplane tickets.
"They travel everywhere with us," said Sanders, a certified yoga instructor who makes frequent trips to Los Angeles and New York.

So... does anyone out there have any interesting "second self" stories?

12 comments:

Jaime Goff said...

That is really hilarious. I can honestly say I've never googled myself, but I'm going to have to do it now to find out what the other Jaime Goffs of the world are up to.

Mauri said...

I just googled myself and Jaime's blog popped up where I'm linked... Google is scary.

Mauri said...

P.S. Jaime, I just googled you and your blog popped up!Evidently not a lot of Jaime Goff's either! (If you don't want the whole world finding you, there's a setting you can change in blogger!)

Kate said...

I always thought it was cool growing up with the same name as the lead singer of the B-52's, Kate Pierson. Because of that, I loved it when "Love Shack" would come on. By the way, you are a great teacher. I'm looking forward to your class!

Bob said...

So how do I determine which is my first and which is my second self? I'm so divided that no matter how many people share my moniker I'll never know who I am! My favorite representation of myself is Exidor from Mork & Mindy; he had such wonderful conversations with his selves [yes, with his selves]. Doppelgangers? well I hope they're all just bits and pieces of me, for I shudder to think that there are "wholes" of me out there encroaching on the world's sane people

Kara said...

there is a kara sheets who lives in oregon. she is a senior in high school, and i found her on google first (then on facebook to 'meet') she occasionally writes me emails to vent about her parents or ask boyfriend advice. it's really cool...but kinda weird too.

Cole said...

There's a big black guy named Cole Bennett who played football for Auburn University. He set many more football records than I did. In fact, I never set any.

Tumbleweed said...

I googled myself and the other Susan Midwood is also a secretary--it must be the name!!!

Tumbleweed said...

I googled myself and the other Susan Midwood is also a secretary--it must be the name!!!

Katie said...

My blog is the first thing that popped up when I Googled myself. A bit farther down was a business directory that included my dad - Doug Noah - and then a newspaper article about a high school student with my name who won an essay competition. Weird.

tonyb said...

Great exercise. The craziest thing happened when I did my name. I was taken to a web site called "Tony was the coolest person I've ever knew in my whole life and I wish I had his email address so I could see if he's still alive." Cool huh? So here it is: tony.bedard@eds.com. Let me hear from ya and I'll tell you how I'm still alive and the random story of how I came to your blog.

Blair said...

I think I have the best one. I've known about this guy for years and I couldn't make up a better doppelganger (even though he's only a name match, not a true doppelganger).

Check him out: http://blairthomas.org