Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hair by Halsa

I do not profess to have an amazing memory. Almost everyone I know has better retention of stories, poems and sayings than I do. It is an exceptional day when I remember a joke, a funny line from a sitcom, or a profound song lyric. I'm okay with that, though, because I'm really pretty good at remembering my students' names (even years later), and I never forget a face or a mannerism. For example, I can tell you whether almost every kid in my graduating class was right or left-handed. That said, I was blown away today by the memory of a tiny Korean woman named Halsa, who, by the way, is right-handed (Jaime, you better respond to this post). Halsa is the Halsa of Hair by Halsa, and I was there to get my ends trimmed (okay, I confess, I was getting highlights), but I must mention first that I have only been "cut" by Halsa once since I have lived in Abilene, a little more than a year ago.
I made today's appointment with little reference that I had seen her before, only saying, "It's been a while." (This odd behavior only makes sense if you understand that I have recently put my hair through several color processes/cuts of my own doing, and I feel guilty about it). So, to avoid further inquiry, I just asked for an appointment and made my best effort to act like I was a new client.
About halfway through the highlighting process, Halsa casually remarks, "Oh, I just remembered -- when you were here you talked about your Korean student, who said that Americans smell like cheese." I about fell out of my chair. I immediately flashed to my TCC student Sooyun Kim, who (also right-handed) had mentioned that very thing to me, during a conversation we had about cultural differences (Americans' diet=lactose, red meat/ Koreans' diet=fish, veggies, etc.) She was completely right -- she had just remembered a small but significant portion of a conversation I had with her more than a year ago, and then she hadn't seen me since. When I recovered from my stroke, all was soon revealed when Halsa told me that she "has a photo box memory," which I really liked the sound of. She also said that when she was younger, she could remember multiple pages of the Korean bible, though in English she says it's a bit harder. I am so in awe of this woman.
Besides being a great hairdresser who is not above shaming over the use of a flat iron (which, by the way, heats up to 450 degrees, FYI!) -- Halsa is also really funny. And I bet she knows more than anyone in the lower states about the latest mergers in salon-quality product corporations.
Other fun Halsa-isms from today:
1. "Your ears are really small for someone of your height."
2. "It's not just American girls who are frying their hair with flat irons, it's a global problem."
3. "Why are your bangs so short? Did you tell someone to do that?" (ahem, yes, I cut them myself...)
There were several more, but, well, you know.

7 comments:

Bob said...

what IS it that mesmerizes men and women alike into spilling their guts and thoughts and creating plans to solve their relationship problems and world hunger -- all while having someone fiddle with their hair???? at what point did we transition from screaming, frightened, children who had to be bound to the "barber" chair for the pre-family-photo trim? When did we realize that the barberian barber [ok, stylist] was really the haven of safe prayer and comfort and healing? My gosh, I bet if a good stylist installed a drink bar [REAL, adult drink bar] and employed a bar tender, that the patrons would never have to leave!!! Hair stylists, barbers, and bar tenders -- the world's best listeners, making us all look and feel our best, accepting all of our outlandish proposals and machinations -- for a fee, of course. At first blush, a "believer" might suggest that God will do all that listening at a much cheaper price tag. Blushing the second and third time warms us up enough to know that His price tag is life long loyalty, and growth. Hmmmm, that's pricey. But then He ALWAYS likes the way we look when we leave the stylist/barber and his love tonic is superior to the libations offered by the bartender. OK, OK, another Abilene sermon out of control. I've preferred to meld the topics to believe that a good hair stylist/barber is probably a messenger from God, sent to handle my puny issues while God's out trying to handle big stuff like people killing His creations in His name. Whew, now I need a libation. .... blessings ... and dry land swimmer, your hair always looks fabulous!

Tumbleweed said...

In thinking back over many poolside conversations we have had, all I can say is left handed huh, ahem--do you need a shot?
That being said, I do find myself telling Veronica (my hair person) all about my life whether she cares or not. Though, after my last trip to T&G and the child support run down I got from my stylist (multiple baby daddy,) I try to observe some decorum. Lacan symposium today...need I say more.

Cole said...

I have always thought your ears should be much, much bigger. LIke an elephant, really.

Just wanted you to know I was reading.

Kara said...

i must meet this Halsa.
...i think it's time for a trim!

Ethan said...

Just how far back, exactly, does one have to stand to see that the correct proportions for ear to hieght ratio? And if you were sitting down for this haircut how does she get the right distance? Seems to me your ears would look much, much larger to the hair dresser. I wouldn't think her estimate is accurate.

Wendy said...

Gotta love Halsa. She is never boring! Last time I was there (which was a year or more probably -- right there with you on that), she told me about several dreams she had, and how she interpreted them prophetically.

Unknown said...

Shelly
Halsa and I were looking at the internet when we discovered your blog. Life is full of Halsa-isms, thanks for putting a smile on her face and stop by again soon.
Mr. Halsa