Tuesday, February 5, 2008

#2 in a series on Young Adult literature

When they were all gathered and Bridget stopped aerobicizing, Carmen began. "On the last night before the diaspora" -- she paused briefly so everyone could admire her use of the word -- "we discovered some magic." She felt an itchy tingle in the arches of her feet. "Magic comes in many forms. Tonight it comes to us in a pair of pants. I hereby propose that these Pants belong to us equally, that they will travel to all the places we're going, and they will keep us together when we're apart."

"Let's take the vow of the Traveling Pants." Bridget excitedly grabbed Lena's and Tibby's hands. Bridget and Carmen were always the ones who staged friendship ceremonies unabashedly. Tibby and Lena were the ones who acted like there was a camera crew in the room.

"Tonight we are Sisters of the Pants," Bridget intoned when they'd formed a ring. "Tonight we give the Pants the love of our Sisterhood so that we can take that love wherever we go."

-- Ann Brashares, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, pg. 20-21.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I looooove this series. I've read the first three books several times each. And I have my own pair of "travelling pants" - my favourite, $10-on-sale Gap jeans - that go with me everywhere.