Friday, February 22, 2008

Antarctica, here I come...

So, we're moving! Monday! And here I am, Sunday night, blogging instead of packing. In my opinion, the least amount of time spent packing, the better. This, admittedly, does not always work out well for me. When it comes to travel, whether across town or across the globe, I tend to do one of two things: overpack or underpack. My theory has always been that opening a box or a suitcase should be a surprise! (Quick sidenote: When I was little, I used to spend a LOT of time going through the L.L. Bean catalog, hypothesizing what would happen if a person was only given 5 or 6 things -- say flannel-lined jeans, a down parka and 3 dog beds -- and sent to Antarctica. This memory may not seem related, but I assure you, it is.) So when a person has to pack everything in his/her entire house into boxes, and label those boxes, I get a little overwhelmed. But instead of Antarctica, we are moving to a great house 2.7 miles from our current one.

You know how lists make me feel better. So here are 10 things I would rather do than pack (also called The Packing Procrastinator's Checklist):

1. Watch Emeril fondle a lamb shank.
2. Drive to Austin. Revel in sunshine, Amy's ice cream and great friends.
3. Ogle at the Oscars.
4. Practice the Boston accent.
5. Sing/dance with drapes like Julie Andrews in "Sound of Music."
6. Mourn absence of girl scout cookies.
7. Staring contest with pet.
8. Watch lunar eclipse.
9. Organize email inbox. (1,919 and counting!)
10. Plan a trip to Antarctica.

3 comments:

Cole said...

What happened to Girl Scout Cookies?

Holly Grant said...

Fondle a lamb shank? Sounds dirty and fascinating all at the same time...
Hey Shelly, Found your blog through Heather's! I had no idea you were living in Abilene! My husband is working there this summer at a law firm so Abilene might be in our near future. Never thought I would ever move back!
Holly (Watts)

Amy R said...

Since I don't blog, I'll use your's. This seems to fit here, Barry Levenson says on collecting:

"I had no idea what I was doing - I ws so depressed. Life was tenuous. I just knew I needed to collect some mustard. I didn't know where it was going to lead" (March&April 2008, AARP).