Monday, November 5, 2007

I came home, and washed the day off my face.

"Escapist -- Never" by Robert Frost

She is no fugitive -- escaped, escaping.
No one has seen her stumble looking back.
Her fear is not behind her but beside her
On either hand to make her course perhaps
A crooked straightness yet no less a straightness.
She runs face forward. She is a pursuer.
She seeks a seeker who in her turn seeks
Another still, lost far into the distance.
Any who seek her seek in her the seeker.
Her life is a pursuit of a pursuit forever.
It is the future that creates her present.
All is an interminable chain of longing.

p.s. I changed all the masculine pronouns to feminine ones, because it's my blog, and I can do what I want. This poem means something to me today, a day when I feel as if I have tried too hard at life. Meanwhile, I read three poems at the Shinnery poetry reading tonight. Then I ate some cherry pie with a plastic fork.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool poem. hope you are having a good week.

Amy R said...

I've been 're-seeing' various parts of my life. Last month I was 'reliving' moments with my grandmother who died shortly after my birthday 4 years ago. I can see small things like the dust on a painted wooden flower hanging in the bathroom or the texture of the floor in her laundry room or how she would sit in the living room. Our minds are so funny that way. Dwelling over observations that at the time were forgotten quickly if we ever noticed that we noticed in the first place. I do that so often; 'hearing' snipets of someone's laugh or smelling the musk of some else's car. Reflecting on my memories, I wonder why we battle life so fervently, picking up arms and fighting towards what? I'm constantly battling life, but I don't really know why.

Odd, rambling thoughts for you to chew on ...

Cole said...

Robert Frost is awesome. He would forgive you for changing his pronouns.