Monday, November 12, 2007

a thin, albeit itchy place

Today as I was laying between sun and grass in my backyard, here are some things I thought about:
1. Mike Cope's explanation on Sunday of "thin places." This idea appeals to me, but I am having trouble really identifying with it. Now, I may have not gotten this totally correct, what with my tendency to contemplate vampire teeth during sermons, but what I think I heard was that these are places where heaven and earth are collapsed; therefore, we go to or remember these places to feel God's presence or listen to him. Mike's main biblical example was the place where Jacob had his Dream. During service, we were asked to share our thin places with our neighbor.
The person sitting behind my friend had a brilliant, meaningful thin place, which I don't quite feel comfortable sharing, even though I'm not vain enough to think he will ever read this. However, it had to do with his late wife and our weekly recitation of the Lord's Prayer.
On the other hand, I made up a thin place, so I wouldn't be a bad Christian. Okay, so yes, I like the Boston Commons. And my parents' trees. And many different lakes, beaches and swimming pools. I used to have places where I could go to be in nature or water and be alone, and maybe I thought I was communing with God, but now I'm not so sure they were really "thin places," not like Jacob's. Maybe I'm just confused. Do we really need a "place" to commemorate those we've loved and lost? Or am I making this too hard? Maybe we do all need a place in our memory, a place of profound beauty or loss or change to help us understand who we are.
2. I really hate when people spread rumors in church about books/movies that they haven't read or seen, based upon internet research and/or hearsay. I believe that this is a form of Censorship. The latest young adult literature book to be crucified by non-reading parents everywhere: Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass series.
3. I should get my oil changed.
4. Maybe this is a thin place. And maybe you shouldn't try to discuss theological issues in your blog. You don't really pay attention enough to do that.
5. Yes, your dog is about to eat her own feces if you don't stop her.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen to the comment on censorship via the Church, Shelly (no pun intended). A personal experience with that: a while back I had to borrow my mother-in-law's car while I had some work done on my own. Now, my mother-in-law, who is without question one of the finest people on the planet, is I'd say a devout woman. Attends Church most every day, etc. In the console of her car was a petition begun by one of the members of her Church calling attention to a play that was being staged locally that cast the Virgin Mary as a lesbian. The petition was essentially a call to arms for parishioners; they should protest the staging of the play on the grounds of indecency. Two things about this have always stuck with me: (1) Why is it usually those who are (supposedly) most confident/outspoken in their faith who most ardently feel the need to quash any challenges to that faith. If one is that unshakable in one's religious beliefs, then you would think that supposed contestations to religious belief -- e.g., the Virgin Mary as lesbian -- would simply be laughably ridiculous and not worthy of the effort to protest against. (2) I just have never understood how people have the nerve to say (implicitly): "I don't agree with what this book, play, movie, song, etc. is depicting. I think it is wrong. And, you should think it is wrong too. And therefore, I don't think you should read that book, attend that play, watch that movie, or listen to that song. It is morally wrong... don't you know that?"

Let's be clear here: I have no desire necessarily to see the Virgin Mary cast as a lesbian. At the same time, though, I must say that my curiosity is/was piqued. I certainly don't see it as anything blasphemous or indecent at any rate. And you never know: experiencing such a play might actually make you realize something about your faith that you didn't realize before... which would be a good thing, right? Even if no such transcendent experience occurs, what's the worst that happens? You drop $20-$30 on a lousy show. In the grand scheme of things, is that so bad?

Shelly said...

Thanks for your insightful comment, Frank. When are you going to start a blog?:)

Kara said...

i had a hard time understanding thin places too. i want to find one and go there often....or do i? it seems that the thin places are the hardest places to be.

i like your train of thought from deep theology to consumption of feces. : )

Anonymous said...

Vampire teeth during the sermon? Interesting. I'd like to know more about that.