Saturday, November 10, 2007

lunch, with friends

It was a day when I said everything was fine.
I was messy and put my feet on the dashboard.
I pulled at my bangs.
We drove until we saw them walking toward us on white gravel.
I pointed to the smokestack waving under clouds.
We squinted.
We ate chicken fried steak and were surprised.
Seven sat at the table, tasting friendship one bite at a time.
I pulled the child away at the last second.
He bowed his head when I tickled him.
He laughed in a striped shirt.
We made promises in the parking lot.
We only told a little because we were so happy to be there.

4 comments:

Bob said...

it sounds like you had a stellar deep South kind of gathering. from pulling on your bangs to tickling the little boy - interspersed with the luxury of chicken fried steak - indeed, everything was fine, even if just for this day. that's far from nerdy, ma'am, far from nerdy.

Anonymous said...

You say things so well! You are so creative. I love it. I'm glad you had fun with your friends and I'm glad I got to see you three days in a row!

Cole said...

My word, this is good. Really, really good.

Amy R said...

this is so beautiful