Thursday, November 8, 2007

revenge of the nerds

This may seem like a very strange subject for a blog, but I am irritated with my students for undervaluing and disparaging nerds. For the last two class periods of Freshman English, we have been watching a documentary called Spellbound, which won the Academy Award in 2001 for Best Doc. It basically chronicles the journey of 8 contestants in the National Spelling Bee. Several of the spellers' parents are immigrants and their teachers comment on how this affects their worldviews; however, wherever they are from, the spellers all value hard work, discipline and intelligence. Let me say that my students, who are watching the documentary, have shown me that most of them do NOT value these attributes. I can tell from their responses to the video that, for the most part, they think these kids are certifiably crazy. They scoff at statements like "I study 8 hours a day in the summer, and 5 during the school year." They laugh at the kids' nerdy glasses, speech impediments and awkward idiosyncrasies. This makes me furious. Especially at the ones who are failing my class. They just fail to see the connection between hard work and success. In fact, I have had several students come to me recently complaining about their lack of motivation. What I want to know is why these students were never taught to value these attributes, to understand that the "nerdier" you are, the more success, and the more opportunities for success, is available for you later on.

I grew up in a snobby/rich/privileged (however you want to say it) part of Houston. I was NOT what I would consider a "nerd," (too busy trying to get into trouble with my "bad" friends and/or swimming 2-5 hours a day), though I was in the Honors Society and made good grades. However, I always had a keen sense of the fact that the nerds would have the final say. So they're awkward or socially uncomfortable... but so what? It just really does not make sense to ridicule someone who can spell 40,000 more words than I can.
Lately, I have found myself apologizing for being a "nerd." When people asked me to explain my Halloween costume, and my answer was "poetry in motion," I apologized for my "nerdy" idea. When people ask me what I do, and I talk about my PhD in Literature or teaching at a university, I often apologize by saying, "I'm a giant nerd." This clears the air, and makes people (women and men) feel at ease. Maybe I shouldn't do that, but I find it helps to keep the conversation from sudden death. However, deep down inside, I am very proud of the fact that I can say that. I am a nerd. I am lover of learning and literature and words and poetry. It's so much better than the alternative. So, Student X, when I tell you we don't need the running commentary during the movie, what I'm really saying is, don't diss my peeps, dude. You could learn a lot from them.

4 comments:

Cole said...

What do you mean "you always knew the nerds would have the final say.?" I am intrigued by that. I always thought the nerds' lack of social capital would be their undoing.

Shelly said...

A good question, Cole. Let me try to clarify. First I would say that I don't think being a nerd and being socially competent are mutually exclusive. I also think that some nerds have a rough time interacting with the rest of the world. This can lead to sadness and/or poor decisions. However, my thought was that the world would self-destruct without nerds. Nerds invent vaccines and light bulbs. Nerds SURPRISE. Nerds have done the research, the homework, the exploration needed to save the rest of the average schmoes from themselves. For example, one would need a nerd handy if one was in the forest and ate a poisonous mushroom (see last night's "The Office"). In fact, I would say that non-nerds' fixation with social capital is exactly what opens the door for the nerd to revolutionize the world.

Katie said...

Good points, Shelly. I, too, often find myself apologizing for being a nerd (especially as I was in the National Spelling Bee, twice). It's hard not to, because it does make people uncomfortable. But I'm with you...the nerds do run the world, in some sense. And literary nerds like us are the preservers of beauty and memory, among other things. So why are we apologizing again? :)

Shelly said...

Hi Katie! I'm so impressed that you were in two bees! Could you hop over the pond and guest-berate my class?